Arepa with Beef Liver in Creole Sauce (Arepa con Higado en Salsa Criolla)
- 3 tablespoons of canola or olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves diced
- 1 ½ lb Rumba® Meats liver sliced into strips
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 onion diced
- 3 to matoes diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Fresh parsley or cilantro chopped
- Cooked arepas for serving
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and add the liver strips, working in batches if necessary. Cook for about 2 minutes or until browned on both sides. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove liver from skillet and set aside on a plate.
- Add the remaining oil to the same skillet. Add the onions, tomatoes, garlic and cumin. Sauté until the vegetables are soft. Add the liver back to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes more until liver reaches an internal temperature of 160°F. Sprinkle with fresh parsley or cilantro and serve the liver on top of an arepa.
Rumba Meats® offers products that help families share their heritage through food by providing the ingredients to make traditional dishes like this Beef Liver with Creole Sauce. Visit their site to find their store locations in the United States and how to order online for doorstep delivery. Also, I want to share with you a wonderful opportunity that Rumba Meats is offering. In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, USHLI (United States Hispanic Leadership Institute) is partnering with Rumba® Meats to form a scholarship program. The Rumba Meats Scholarships will go to high school seniors demonstrating leadership and a commitment to preserving their Hispanic heritage. This video features last year’s scholarship recipients and I loved seeing how the scholarship will impact their lives.