This is another one of those meals that I like to cook when I crave a good home cooked meal. My mom often made this meal for my family and me and we all loved it. It was one of those dishes she made when she ran out of ideas.
She serves this dish with rice, salad and avocado on the side, which are common sides for many Colombian dishes. It is simple, but I love this Carne Guisada con Zanahoria. Just the smell reminds me of home.
- 2 pounds skirt steak, trimmed and cut into 4 equal portions
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 large carrots, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- Place the steaks between sheets of wax paper, then pound until each steak is about ¼ inch thick.
- Place the pounded steaks in a zip lock plastic bag. Add the cumin, garlic, onions, salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. Be sure the steaks are evenly covered.
- In a large sauce pan, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Place the steaks into the skillet and cook for 3 minutes per side.
- Add the carrots and water. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes. Add more water if necessary.
- Uncover the sauce pan and using a fork mash the carrots. Cover and cook 5 minutes more. Serve over white rice.