What is Bistec Encebollado?
It's steak cooked in a onion sauce, a Colombian classic dish. It is also one of my favorite recipes! it is especially good over white rice with beans and tomato-avocado salad on the side.
Tips to to Make this Dish
I recommend marinating the steak for at least 3 hours or overnight. Remember, the longer it marinates, the more flavorful the dish will be.
This delicious bistec encebollado recipe will last up to 4 to 5 days in the fridge stored in a sealed, airtight container. This dish tastes even better the next day!
Ingredients in this Bistec Encebollado Recipe
You'll find the printable recipe card with ingredients and directions below.
Steak: I recommend using skirt steak or beef tenderloin to make this dish.
Vegetables: Garlic, onions and tomatoes.
Oil and Butter: I like to use a combination of oil and butter. You can use vegetable, canola and olive oil.
Seasoning: Mustard,cumin, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and red wine.
Bistec Encebollado Recipe (Colombian-Steak with Onion Sauce)
- 2 pounds skirt steak or filet
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more to cook the beef
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 2 small onions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- Place the steaks between sheets of wax paper, then pound until each steak is about ¼ inch thick.
- Place the pounded steaks in a zip lock plastic bag. Add the mustard, cumin, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. Be sure the steaks are evenly covered.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the tomato, worcestershire sauce, wine, salt and pepper. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Place the steaks into the skillet and cook for 5 minutes per side. Add the onion sauce, mix and serve.