Posta Negra is another traditional and delicious Colombian dish from the Atlantic Coast of the country. It contains beef, cooked in a dark sauce made with Cola, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, cumin and panela or brown sugar.
There are many different versions of this dish, but this one is very popular on the Atlantic Coast. The must have side dishes for “Posta Negra” include boiled or fried yuca, fried green plantains and coconut rice.
- 3 pounds beef eye round roast
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 large onion
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce or salsa negra
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or grated panela
- 1 cup of Coca-Cola
- Place the onions and garlic in a food processor and puree.
- Place the beef in a zip lock bag, add the onion mixture, salt and pepper.
- Be sure the beef is covered with the marinade and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter and brown the meat on all sides.
- Add water to cover the beef and cook for 2 hours over medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar, Coca-Cola, butter and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook for about 30 minutes more. To serve slice the beef and pour the sauce on top.