Pimentones Rellenos (Colombian Style-Stuffed Peppers)
- 6 red or green bell peppers tops removed and seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound bacon diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 scallion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 cups cooked white rice
- 2 cooked eggs diced
- Salt and ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the peppers in a pot with water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the pot and allow to cool.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and the bacon and cook for 5 minutes or until cooked. Add the onions, scallions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the beef, cooked rice, cooked eggs, cumin and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Stir in the tomato paste. Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the fresh cilantro and parsley.
- Spoon the mixture into the cooled peppers. Transfer the peppers to a baking dish and top with breadcrumbs. Bake until the peppers are heated through, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.
Every country and every family has its own variation of stuffed peppers. This is my grandmother's Colombian version.
This simple dish is hearty and delicious. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
Vegetarians can simply omit the meat and add some chopped mushrooms.