Bistec a la Criolla is a traditional and popular dish in Colombia. This beef recipe is very easy to make and full of flavor.
What is Bistec a la Criolla?
This is one of those recipes that many Colombians and I grew up eating at least once a week. Bistec a la Criolla is one of my favorites because I love rich creole sauces over white rice.
Ingredients You'll Need
This dish has a list of simple ingredients. You will find the complete printable recipe card below.
Steak: I like to use skirt steak, but sirloin tips or filet will work too.
Oil: I recommend using a neutral oil like vegetable or canola.
Vegetables: Garlic cloves to marinade the meat, onions and the hogao sauce is made with tomatoes, scallions and garlic.
Spices and Condiments: Yellow mustard, cumin, salt and black pepper. I use mustard to marinade the steak, but you can omit it.
Herbs: Fresh cilantro or parsley.
**Hogao: This is my recipe for this creole sauce.
Bistec a la Criolla Recipe (Colombian -Style Creole Steak)
- 2 pounds skirt steak trimmed and cut into 4 equal portions
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Salt and black pepper to your taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion sliced
- 2 cups hogao
- Place the steaks between sheets of wax paper, then pound until each steak is about ½ inch thick.
- Place the pounded steaks in a zip lock plastic bag. Add the mustard, cumin, 3 garlic cloves, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight. Be sure the steaks are evenly covered.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the steaks into the skillet and cook for 3 minutes per side. Add the hogao sauce, cover and cook for 7 minutes more.
I’ve talked a lot about Sunday dinners at my grandmother's house on this blog, it was always a table with arroz con pollo, sancocho, mondongo, albóndigon and many traditional Colombian dishes for the whole family to enjoy. However, on my twenties I would often eat lunch at my mamita's house during the week, as well. One of my favorite meals she made was this simple bistec a la criolla served over white rice. It's comfort on a plate!
This Bistec a la Criolla recipe is simple and quick to make, you'll will have dinner on the table in 30 minutes. It's perfect for a weeknight meal or lunch. This is my son’s most requested Colombian meal. I make this dish at least twice a month.
Tips to Make this Dish
*I highly recommend to marinade the steak at least one hour, but I prefer to leave it in the fridge over night.
*You can store this dish in the fridge in a sealed container up to 3 days.