Ensalada de Repollo Morado y Manzana (Purple Cabbage and Apple Salad)
- 1 small purple cabbage shredded
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 red apples peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- ½ cup white onion finely chopped
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup of sugar
- Place the cabbage and hot water in a pot. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan and add the onions. Cook for about 7 minutes or until onions are tender. Add the apples and cook for 3 minutes more stirring often.
- Add the cabbage, vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar. Stir well and cover the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes more.
I’m back after a week of a much needed vacation at the beach and ready to share new and delicious recipes with you guys.
This Purple Cabbage and Apple Salad is one of the many side dishes I was served at family parties when I was growing up. This is a very simple vegetarian recipe that is perfect as a side salad or served up as a burger topping for a delicious and light summer lunch. This salad can be made in advance, making it perfect for picnics. A special thanks to my aunt in Florida who supplied me with the ingredients for the dressing.
First of all, I just started following your blog. I am Honduran, but Colombian by Marriage, :). I love all Colombian food and have become obsessed with your site. making all these delicious recipes and discovering all my favorite foods. Thank you for creating this and I wish you all the best and many success.
So now my question, Can this cabbage plate served cold or warm?
Thank you for your comment and the answer is Yes.
Welcome back! Trust you had a grand time - love this color!
I absolutely never know what to do with cabbage but this salad is a great idea!
Norma-Platanos, Mangoes and Me!
Those colors are fabulous. Great salad too!
Delicious salad. I made it and loved it.
My family looked at me like I was a little nuts when I was putting this together, but everyone loved it!