Esponjado de Limón is lime mousse popular in Colombia. This Colombian dessert is easy to make and delicious. Other Colombian varaiations of this delicious mousse are esponjado de maracuyá, esponjado de café and esponjado de mandarina.
Lime Esponjado (Esponjado de Limón)
- ¾ cup lime juice
- 1 can 14 oz condensed milk
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- In a small pot add the water and gelatin. Over medium heat let it cook for about 2 minutes or until the gelatin dissolves.
- Place the lime juice and condensed milk in a blender and blend for about 2 minutes. Add the dissolved gelatin to the blender and blend for 1 more minute.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer beat the heavy cream for about 3 minutes. Fold the whipped cream into the lime mixture.
- Using an electric mixer beat the egg whites and sugar in a clean bowl until stiff.
- Add half of the egg whites to the mixture, gently folding to incorporate them. Don’t overwork the mixture. Add the rest of the whites and fold the mixtures together.
- Spoon the mixture into individual serving glasses or bowls and refrigerate for about 5 hours or overnight. Serve with whipped cream or chopped graham crackers on top.
When it comes to desserts, I usually like the ones made with fruits and that are a little tangy. The Colombian esponjado and flan are the perfect desserts to me because I can make variations with my favorite fruits and flavors. This lime esponjado is the perfect ending to any meal. Enjoy.