Sopa de Arepa is a corn cake soup popular in Colombia. This soup is very easy to make and delicious served with avocado. You can use beef, chicken or vegetable broth either way this Colombian soup is light, unique and comforting.
Sopa de arepa is another traditional Colombian soup and one of my favorites. For this recipe you have to use corn arepas, you cannot use arepas made with masarepa or precooked corn meal. Trust me, I tried, and the soup was not as it should be. You can find these corn arepas in Latin supermarkets or online. This soup is simple and easy to make. Enjoy!
Sopa de Arepa (Corn Cake Soup)
- 7 cups chicken or beef stock
- 2 large potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 cup hogao
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 3 arepas cooked and cut into pieces
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- In a medium pot place the chicken stock, potatoes, cumin and hogao. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender. About 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add the arepa pieces and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 4 minutes more. Add the fresh cilantro and serve.