Crema de Lentejas ( Pureed Lentil Soup)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 5 cups chicken beef or vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cup dried lentils
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup potato diced
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- Heavy cream for garnish
- Add the oil, carrots, onion, garlic, tomato and scallions to the pot, season with salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally about 12 minutes. Stir in the cumin and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the lentils and water, bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook until the lentils become tender about 30 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cilantro, cook for 15 minutes until the potatoes are fully cooked and fork tender.
- Using a blender, puree the soup in batches until smooth. Return the soup to the pot. Add more broth if needed to reach the desired consistency.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top with cream, if using, and serve immediately.
A typical meal in my house when I was a child consisted of the first course, which was always a soup, followed by a second course, which was usually rice with meat, chicken, fish or egg, and potatoes, yuca or plantain.
I hated chunky soups, but I really liked cremas, or pureed soups, and was fortunate that my mom would puree my soups for me 🙂 Thanks mom!
Cream soups are very popular in Colombia and we have many variations, like this Lentil soup. They even sell them packaged and ready to make, although not as good as homemade, many people enjoy them as well.
First of all, I love the colors in your napkin and it matches the soup so well! My Mom never made soup very much at all when I was younger, but I can understand why the purees would appeal to children. I've never had pureed lentil soup, but I love lentils and it does look delicious.
Ya hacía tiempo que no pasaba a visitarte, te ruego que me disculpes por ello.
Y ahora llego y veo esta deliciosa crema, que además de ser estupenda para este tiempo en el que entramos es muy rica en vitaminas y hierro.
I love lentil soups but have never had pureed lentil soup yet. Looks delicious!
wow love lentil soup looks yummy great for cooler weather
In Mexico we also always eat soup and rice in our meals and I really like that. I remember I didn't like lentil soup, but this version sounds a lot better. Hmmm I have an idea for dinner now 🙂
Sounds like a wonderful, comforting soup.
I am with you with cremas or potajes....Lentils are my favorites. Can eat them every day. Perfect for today. It is bitching weather in Manhattan today..
An all time favorite. This is so close to the Indian dal with the lentils and the cumin, onion tomato and the cilantro.
Thank you everyone!
Acabo de almorzar con una cremita de lentejas. Que delicia! 🙂
Made this for my father who has swallowing issues. He liked it a lot. Husband had some before I puréed it. He also like it.