Arepas de Papa (Potato Arepas)
- 1 cup of mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1 cup of masarepa precooked corn flour
- Salt to your taste
- Spray oil to cook the arepas
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Make small balls with the mixture. Shape the dough into thick cakes.
- Spray a nonstick pan with oil and place over medium heat. Place the arepas in the pan, and cook about 3 minutes on each side, until a crust forms or they are golden brown.
These potato arepas, or arepas de papa, are very simple to make and delicious. The outside is crispy and golden, while the middle stays wonderfully moist, and they are very versatile. You can serve them for breakfast topped with butter and cheese or egg. You can also add grated cheese to the mixture, or just top them with any ingredients you like. I like to serve mine with either shrimp, shredded beef (carne desmechada), shredded chicken, guacamole, or hogao, the possibilities are endless.