Torta de Pastores is a traditional Colombian dessert. Comforting and perfect for an afternoon snack with a cup of coffee.
What is Torta de Pastores?
This cake is very unique and delicious, it's made with rice pudding, raisins, sponge cake, wine and cheese. It is a traditional dessert from the Valle department of Colombia. Soothing, comforting, and just downright good, there's nothing like digging into a delicious, warm and sweet homemade dessert when the weather is getting cooler.
Torta de Pastores Recipe (Colombian Cheese and Rice Pudding Cake)
- 4 cups of rice pudding
- 3 cups of bizcochuelo or sponge cake crumbs
- ¼ cup of butter melted
- ¾ of cup of white cheese or queso blanco shredded
- 4 large eggs beaten
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- ½ cup of raisins soaked in warm water for 30
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ½ cup of Moscatel or Oporto wine
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat an oven to 325°F. Lightly butter a large baking pan.
- Drain the raisins and place in a large mixing bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for about 15 minutes, then release the pan sides and slide the cake onto a serving plate. Serve warm or cold.
It's a pretty filling and rich dessert so a word of advice, serve this after a light meal, that way you can enjoy an extra portion. Another great aspect of this cake is that it tastes even better the next day.
Other Colombian desserts recipes you may want try:
Dulce de Coco (Coconut and Milk Dessert)
Pastel Gloria (Dulce de Leche, Cheese and Guava Paste Pastries)
Flan de Chocolate (Chocolate Flan)
Torta Negra Envinada (Colombian Black Cake)
That looks so moist and delicious!
Oh BOY, you served this up right with a tall glass of milk!!
This is my favorite cake. My Russian Abuela made this but did not add the cheese. Muy delicioso. I tried to make it once but it was not quite right. I will now make it again using your recipe..my Grandma had her recipes in her head..so they were not as organized as this. Buen Fin De La Semana.
Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook
Rice pudding in a cake, this looks fantastic. I'd definitely have to save room for a second helping!
fun use of rice
5 Star Foodie
Super delicious, this would be wonderful to try!
Great way to hide all the rice in there:D
Norma-Platanos, Mangoes and Me!
Oh boy this looks really amazing...
Typical Colombian cuisine varies regionally and is influenced by indigenous and Spanish. I love your Traditional Colombian Food and recipes. I made this Torta de Pastores and it was a wonderful cake. Love the recipe and I am going to make it again for Christmas.Thanks
Thank you, guys!