Maizitos con Tocineta (Corn al Gratin with Bacon)
- 6 cups frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- ½ pound bacon cooked and cut into pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups of milk
- Pinch nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil over medium heat and add the corn kernels. Cook for about 3 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium-low heat until melted. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Over medium heat, cook until the mixture turns a light, golden color, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a separate pan. Add the hot milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from heat.
- Add the mozzarella cheese and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and set aside until ready to use.
- Place the corn into an oven proof dish or individual ramekins. Pour cheese sauce over corn and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. Wrap with foil and bake in oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for 10 minutes uncovered. Top with bacon pieces and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
When I lived in Medellin, I often ate at a fast food restaurant with my friends called "Mario Bross". I always ordered the same thing, Maizitos, sometimes with bacon and other times just plain. Either way was absolutely delicious.
This is the perfect snack for me. It is a bubbling dish of melted cheese and white sauce, mixed with corn, and often topped with bacon strips. I made my own version this week and I want to share it with you today!
Another wonderful recipe. Looks delicious.
nice click...this looks so mouthwatering
Can't wait to try this. We almost always stop for Maizitos at least once when we are in Medellin!
I want more information about the maucito
esa mescla es salsa bechamel (mantequilla, harina leche) es deliciosa en la lasagna tambien! 🙂
This recipe look gloriously creamy and delicious!
I am SO trying this one next week!
A zesty recipe I surely would like to try. I can imagine it with halloumi.
I've never heard of this but I bet it is delicious.
Gorgeous comforting food.
Yiu share well.....it's just so creamy and delish and then you top it off with bacon...who can say no to this.
oh the presentation is just beautiful! I'm sure this tastes so full of flavor!
5 Star Foodie
Oh, this sounds so good with all the melted cheese and corn and bacon, yum!
Oh boy! That looks beautiful, melted cheese and bacon...yummmmm.
Really glad I found your blog! Cant wait to try out some recipes(starting with this!)
Ummm I could take a bath in bacon, lol, well hubby would prefer not, since he does not like it (I know, crazy huh?). This dish is so comforting!
Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen
So cheesy and delicious!
corn, cheese, and bacon--three things that make me happy to be alive. great dish. 🙂
desde que vi tu receta he estado con muchas ganas de prepararla 🙂
y ya por fin hoy la estoy haciendo de desayunito para mi esposo y para mi jajaj
muchas gracias por tu blog, llevo dos meses de casada y no soy muy buena cocinando, pero tus recetas me animan a meterme en la cocina!!
Words fail to express how much I just fell in love with this recipe. I am making this sooner than later! The cheesy corn goodness can't be beat.
Oh my, you've done it again - I'm making this soon - tomorrow night if I am able.
I love the sound of this! It all seems like it goes so well together ... a great dish.
Thank you so much for this recipes, maizitos con tocineta, delicioso, my friends loved it here in California with some colombian friends from Medellin. Your website is great and I am new at it.
Thank you guys for the wonderful comments!
was here in mario bross and those maizitos were soooo good
Se ve deliciosos!
Maicitos are also great if you add some cooked chicken, spring onions (diced), and DO NOT skimp on the cheese! I get it every once in a while here in Medellín, kind of a guilty pleasure.