Yuca Gratin (Yuca Gratinada)
- 1 pound frozen yuca
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 chicken or vegetable bouillon
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the yuca in a large pot with salted water over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until fork tender.
- Adjust oven rack in the middle position and preheat to 375° F.
- Drain the yuca and remove any fibers from the center. Transfer to a large bowl and mash.
- Heat the heavy cream, chicken or vegetable bouillon, garlic, butter and salt in a small pot over medium heat.
- Add the cream mixture, beaten egg, parsley and chives to the mashed yuca and mix well.
- Transfer the yuca mixture to a greased baking dish, sprinkle with the parmesan cheese on top and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden in some parts. Serve warm.
Since coming to the United States, I prefer to cook with frozen yuca instead of fresh. Finding fresh yuca just right is tricky and the frozen one tastes great, comes already peeled and turns out very tender.
I usually have yuca in the fridge and the other day I was thinking of ways to cook it. So, I decided to make a recipe with yuca that I usually make with potatoes and my husband loved This Yuca Gratin or Yuca Gratinada. Enjoy.