Lentil soups are one of my favorite cold-weather meals. I love to have a big pot in the fridge for an easy, hearty lunch that’s ready to go. I especially love being able to make an entire meal with items that I always have on hand in my fridge and pantry.
Sopa de Lentejas con Carne (Lentils and Beef Soup)
- 1 cup of aliños sauce see recipe here
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound of beef cut in bite sized chunks
- ½ pound of lentils picked and rinsed
- 8 cups of beef stock
- ½ teaspoon ground achiote or color
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 medium white potatoes peeled and diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- lace the aliños sauce, carrots, beef, lentils, broth, achiote, cumin and stir to combine. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook over low heat until the meat and lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- Add the potatoes. Simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the chopped cilantro and season with salt to your taste. Serve with with white rice.
This Sopa de Lentejas con Carne (Lentils and Beef Soup) is homey and comforting. I must be in a nostalgic food mood lately, because all I seem to be craving are classic comfort food dishes from my childhood. Sopa de Lentejas con Carne is one of the first things I learned to cook.