Simple Lentil soup recipe made with beef for a wonderful and comforting one pot meal. This sopa de lentejas is a traditional Colombian soup perfect for lunch or dinner and it makes great leftovers.
Lentil soups are one of my favorite cold-weather meals. I love to have a big pot in the fridge for an easy, hearty lunch that’s ready to go. I especially love being able to make an entire meal with items that I always have on hand in my fridge and pantry.
This Lentils and Beef Soup is homey and comforting. I must be in a nostalgic food mood lately, because all I seem to be craving are classic comfort food dishes from my childhood. Sopa de Lentejas con Carne is one of the first things I learned to cook.
What You'll Need
This is a classic lentils soup recipe made with simple ingredients. You can find the printable recipe card with exact amounts and directions below.
Aliños Sauce: I use my homemade Colombian seasoning ) a mixture of vegetables, and spices) as a base for this soup, you can see recipe here.
Vegetables: Carrots and potatoes.
Spices: Achiote or color, cumin, salt and pepper
Beef: I recommend using chuck roast with some nice marbling. You can use your favorite beef for stews or soups.
Lentils: Unlike dried beans, lentils don’t require soaking before cooking them. Just clean them well and remove any that look bad.
Beef Stock: Use a good quality stock to make this lentil soup.
Herbs: Fresh cilantro or parsley.
Sopa de Lentejas con Carne Recipe (Lentils and Beef Soup)
- 1 cup of aliños sauce see recipe here
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound of beef cut in bite sized chunks
- ½ pound of lentils picked and rinsed
- 8 cups of beef stock
- ½ teaspoon ground achiote or color
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 medium white potatoes peeled and diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a pot add the aliños sauce, carrots, beef, lentils, broth, achiote, cumin and stir to combine. Place the pot on the stove over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook until the meat and lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes. Add water if needed.
- Add the potatoes. Simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the chopped cilantro and season with salt to your taste. Serve with with white rice.
Lentil soups are super easy to make and you can make different variations using pork, chicken, beef, chorizo or even a vegetarian version. I like to serve this lentil and beef soup with rice and avocado on the side.