Vegetarian Lentil and Rice Soup (Sopa de Lentejas y Arroz)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 2 to matoes finely chopped
- ⅓ cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and finely chopped
- 9 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup dried lentils
- ⅓ cup rice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sazon goya with azafran
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a pot, add the onions, scallions and crushed garlic, let cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, red bell pepper, carrots, ground cumin, sazon goya, salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the lentils and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the rice and simmer for about 15 minutes more or until the rice and lentils are soft. Serve with avocado, cooked egg and aji.
I really enjoy preparing soups like this one during the fall and winter months. It is an "everything-in-a-pot" kind of dish that is very easy and quick to prepare.
Once started, I can leave the soup to simmer on its own, almost unattended, and come back to it a half an hour later to find a pot of delicious and nutritious soup that is ready to eat.