Vegetarian Lentil and Rice Soup (Sopa de Lentejas y Arroz)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 2 to matoes finely chopped
- ⅓ cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and finely chopped
- 9 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup dried lentils
- ⅓ cup rice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sazon goya with azafran
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a pot, add the onions, scallions and crushed garlic, let cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, red bell pepper, carrots, ground cumin, sazon goya, salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the lentils and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the rice and simmer for about 15 minutes more or until the rice and lentils are soft. Serve with avocado, cooked egg and aji.
Have you Tried this Recipe? Tag me Today!Mention @mycolombianrecipes and tag #mycolombianrecipes!
I really enjoy preparing soups like this one during the fall and winter months. It is an "everything-in-a-pot" kind of dish that is very easy and quick to prepare.
Once started, I can leave the soup to simmer on its own, almost unattended, and come back to it a half an hour later to find a pot of delicious and nutritious soup that is ready to eat.
Those eggs look so bright against such a hearty soup.
I just got a package of lentils and was thinking about what to do with them - this looks great!
I just love my lentejas and I like the addition of the egg.
What a lovely meal of a soup! I will put a link on my fb Comfort Food page
I love lentil soup and this bowl is calling my name. I've never put rice in mine before, though I will the next time I make it. Nice and hearty.
Gorgeous plating. If you turned it upside down, it looks like a smiley face.
made something similar the other day love the eggs on top cool idea
Thank you everyone!
Hi! I will be making this recipe for several friends.
How many people can eat from this recipe? Thank you 🙂
Victoria-( About 4-6 servings) Main Course.
Hi, i was just wondering how to make the vegetable broth?
I just made this sopa de lentejas and it was delicious. I made the egg over medium and the egg oozing into the soup was great. I also added cilantro towards the end of the cooking process. My family is from Colombia and I plan to make this for them soon one day.
This was delicious. I love the egg, avocado and aji. I will definitely try more Columbian recipes. Thank you!
Do you have another alternative for the vegetable broth?