This creamy beans soup is a traditional Colombian dish. It's comforting and with a lot of flavor and it can be made in advance.
This is a quick version of the traditional Crema de Frisoles. In Colombia we usually cook bean soup from scratch, but sometimes I crave soups and I don't have time to cook the beans for a long time. This is when I break out my canned beans!
Crema de Frisoles con Chorizo (Red Bean Soup with Chorizo)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large carrot peeled and sliced
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 1 scallion chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 diced large potato
- 2 15.5 oz cans of red beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 cups chicken beef or vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- Cook chorizo or bacon for garnish
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot, over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, scallion, potatoes, carrots and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes or until they are golden brown, stirring often.
- Add the chicken, beef or vegetable stock, beans, tomato paste and stir. Reduce the heat to medium-low an continue cooking for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.Transfer the soup to a blender, or use an immersion blender, and puree the soup until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot. Cook for about 2 minutes and season to taste.
- Laddle in bowls and add chorizo and cilantro for garnish. Serve warm.
This red bean soup takes literally 25 minutes to prepare and cook. I added chorizo, but you can be creative and add bacon, ham or another kind of meat. For a vegetarian version just use some corn instead, which also makes for a nice garnish.
More recipes to make with Beans
Frijoles Antioqueños (Bean Soup from the Antioquia Region)
This soup looks so hearty and filling. I love creamy bean soups!
This looks gorgeous. Then again, a slice of chorizo is always a good thing.
What a beautiful bowl of soup! Reminds me of this Portuguese place with their Kale soup and chorizo on top, ummm girl you make me hungry. At least I had avocado and corn tortilla with beans and rice today. No meat until tomorrow...kind of on a diet, which I do not like calling it that, just healthy eating!
Gera @ SweetsFoodsBlog
You named chorizo; every savory dish is lightened up with it! Delicious creamy soup 🙂
What a great meal of a soup! Yum!
My kind of soup. I don't always have chorizo on hands, but my spicy meatballs would be nice to top this up. 🙂
5 Star Foodie
Mmm... how wonderful with chorizo! Must make it for my daughter, she would so love this soup!
Nice soup! I'm gonna try this one. Thanks Erica.
sausage and beans--you can't get much more pleasing than that!
This soup looks incredibly creamy! I would love to slurp up a whole bowl of it.
I'm with Gera, you are now making me really hungry for chorizo and this soup just sounds amazing.
I love it Erica! A creamy bean soup thickened with potato sounds so good to me right now. I just went into the pantry and found a can of red beans. I think I'm going to make a half a batch of this. Love that sliced chorizo on top!
I like creamy soups and this one topped with the chorizo makes it more savory
Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen
Ohhhh, this looks great!
Keep the chorizo! Looks lovely and crispy!!! So loving all these chorizo recipes! Sounds like a really hearty soup!
This really does look delicious and it certainly is easy enough to make. I think you have a winner on your hands. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary
Thank you guys 🙂 Glad you are liking my soup!
Baking is my Zen
I really like this. Printing now! 🙂
Thanks for the receipes. I"m taking classes in Spanish Language and one of the assingments was to learn about a spanish speaking country and prepare an authentic dish. Your blog has helped me greatly with my homework and the food taste great!!!!!!