Three favorite ingredients of Colombian Cuisine are featured in this delicious soup; beans, sweet plantain and avocado. This is a complete vegetarian one-pot meal and all that it requires as an accompaniment is white rice. Enjoy!
1 pound black beans
12 cups water
3 cloves garlic, mashed
½ cup chopped white onion
1 scallion, chopped
½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
½ cup green pepper, chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and black pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 vegetable or chicken bouillon tablet
¼ cup tomato puree
1 ripe plantain, peeled and diced
1 avocado, peeled and pitted
½ cup sour cream
Juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper
- Wash the beans and discard any debris. Place the washed beans in large pot and cover with 10 cups water. Let it sit overnight or for at least 5 hours.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Then add the onion, garlic, scallion, red bell pepper and green pepper. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Bring the beans to a boil then add the vegetable mixture, ground cumin, oregano and bouillon tablet. Cover and reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 hour.
- Add cilantro, tomato puree, salt and black pepper. Cover and cook for another 60 minutes or until the beans are tender.
- To make the cream: In a food processor, combine all the ingredients and process until smooth consistency.
- Place the diced plantains on a large skillet with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and cook until golden.
- Ladle the beans in a bowl and top with plantains and avocado cream.