Crema de Arvejas (Pea Soup)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable or beef broth
- 4 cups frozen or fresh peas
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a medium pot, add the onions and scallions, and cook over medium-low heat for 7 minutes, until the onion is soft.
- Add the broth, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Add the peas, cumin and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the cilantro. Place the soup in a blender and puree.
- Return the soup to the pot, add the cream and serve.
Here's a fresh and easy pea soup recipe for spring. Now this is what I call a delicious soup! It's exactly what I like to have when I am craving a good hot soup and is the perfect dish to have on a rainy day. This Crema de Arvejas is a popular soup in the department of Cundinamarca in Colombia.
If you've been following my blog for any length of time, you know that I love fresh, homemade soups, the soups I grew up with in Colombia. Considering that soups are so simple to make from scratch, I can't find a good reason to buy canned soups.
Erika , I love soups as well and I appreciate all your wonderful recipes!
I don't usually think of peas as something I'd crave, but you just may have changed my mind.
I'm always looking for new veggie soup recipes and this one is so decadently green! Love it!
Yum! I love fresh pea soup. Perfect for spring!
I love pea soup and I mostly like it cold in the summer.....
That sounds REALLY good, Erica. So colorful and tasty too.
Thank you everyone!
Just made this today! I loved it! In a pinch i used Knorr Caldo con Sabor de Pollo, becasue i didnt have any chicken broth. I used 4 tablespoons, so i didnt need to add any additional salt. just pepper, in the furute i will use less and see how it goes! Over all Delish! Thank you for sharing!