This Chickpea soup is creamy and full of flavor. This soup is very easy to make and delicious.
Crema de Garbanzos, or Chickpeas Pureed Soup, is a traditional soup from the Cundinamarca department of Colombia. Pureed soups are very popular in Colombia, and I grew up eating many different types of my mom's homemade cremas, or pureed soups. Actually you can find different packaged cream soups in most Colombian supermarkets, and Crema de Garbanzos is one of them, but for me, store bought soups, just won't do.
Chickpeas Soup Recipe
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- ½ small onion diced
- 3 scallions finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- ½ pound dried chick peas soaked overnight
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Place a medium soup pot over medium heat. Add the butter, onions, scallions, garlic, ground cumin, salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add them to the pot with the beef broth. Bring the pot to a boil over high heat, and then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook at a simmer until the chickpeas are tender about 2 hours.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the soup in batches, leaving some texture, and return the soup to the pot.
- Add the heavy cream and chopped cilantro. If the soup is too thick, thin it with water. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish each bowl with chickpeas and cilantro.
This soup is very easy to prepare, and makes a wonderful lunch. I made this soup cooking the chickpeas from scratch, but feel free to use canned garbanzos if you want.
Soup recipes you should try
Amy (Savory Moments)
This soup looks so creamy and inviting!
Why get a store-bought version when this is better than anything you can get?
Really delicious and comforting. I used to have loads of pureed vegetable soups as a kid too and still make them for my kids. will definetely try this one too.
What a lovely soup. It looks like molten gold in a bowl. What a treat! Have a great day. Blessings...Mary
What a gorgeous vegetarian soup!
What a beautiful and tasty soup!! Miriam Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters
Happy Mother;s Day to you Erica! Have a very beautiful one . xo Soma
wonderful soup will make soon happy mothers day sweet lady
What a colorful, flavor packed soup!
We had this soup last night for dinner and it was very good. Great for kids.
Will this soup freeze well?
I don't know! I always eat it the same day or the next day.