Salchipapas (Potato Fries and Hot Dogs)
- 8 hotdogs
- 4 large potatoes peeled
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup salsa rosada
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium high heat.
- Cut the potatoes into about ⅓ inch thick sticks and place them in a bowl with salted cold water.
- Drain and pat dry the potatoes and add to the hot oil in batches, turning until cooked and golden, for about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the hotdogs crosswise into 3 pieces each and then cut small, ¼” deep crosses into the tips of those pieces and set aside.
- With a slotted spoon transfer the fries to a plate lined with paper towels and season with salt.
- Add the hot dogs to the oil and fry for about 2 minutes. Transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels.
- To serve, divide the fries and hotdogs in equal amounts and serve with salsa rosada on the side. salchipapas
Salchipapas is one of those dishes you are going to find all over Colombia on the kids menu at restaurants. I grew up eating Salchipapas con Salsa Rosada and I still enjoy this traditional Colombian snack.