Happy Summer everyone! I hope you are enjoying the warm weather. My kids are out school, so my schedule is quite different than during the school year when I am shuttling the kids' to and from schools. So now that I have a bit more time to spend in the office, I am trying to post new recipes more often again, while I continue to translate recipes for the Spanish language area of the site.
Sobrebarriga Sudada (Flank Steak Stew)
- 2 pounds of flank steak cut into large pieces
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup of aliños sauce see the recipe here
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 potatoes peeled and cut in half
- ½ pound frozen or fresh yuca cassava
- Fresh cilantro
- In a large pot place the beef, water, aliños sauce, tomatoes and cumin powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low cover and cook for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water if necessary.
- Add the potatoes and yuca. Cook for an additional 30 minutes or until the vegetables and meat are tender.Sprinkle fresh cilantro and serve over white rice.
Today I want to share the recipe for Sobrebarriga Sudada, a popular dish in my house growing up. Sudado is a very typical Colombian dish that can be found in nearly every region of the country. It can be made with any meat (sudado de res - beef, sudado de albóndigas - meatballs, sudado de pollo - chicken – sudado de pescado - fish, etc.), along with potatoes, yuca, vegetables, and spices in a delicious sauce. This classic dish has many different interpretations, but no matter the differences in recipes, it is usually accompanied by white rice.
Whenever I talk to my mom in Colombia, I ask what is she making for lunch or dinner. A couple of weeks ago she told me she was making Sobrebarriga Sudada, which immediately triggered a craving and I just had to make it too!
This dish took me back to my childhood. It’s very easy to make and very comforting. I usually don’t like leftovers, but this is one of the dishes I look forward to eat the next day.