Arepa con Huevo y Jamon Gratinada (Arepa with Egg and Ham Al Gratin)
- 2 medium or large arepas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ham slices cut into small pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices of tomato
- ½ cup diced avocado
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- In a medium non-stick skillet heat the butter over medium heat. Add the ham and cook about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl beat the eggs, heavy cream, salt. and pepper. Pour the eggs in the skillet with the ham and cook over medium heat, without stirring, until mixture begins to set.
- Stir twice or until the eggs mix with the ham and cook about 2 minutes or until the eggs are the consistency you like.
- Place the arepas on a baking sheet and top with the eggs. Scatter the cheese evenly over the egg, leaving a ½-inch border. Slip under the broiler about 4 inches from the heat source and broil until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Arrange the tomato slices, avocado and cilantro on top. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
I love arepas! I mean, really, really love them and I could eat them with almost every meal. You’d think after many mornings of Arepa con Huevos Pericos with cheese, and then dinners with a small arepa as a side dish, I would have tired of them, but I did not.
Even now that I've been living in another country for 11 years, I try to make them as much as possible. I still love my arepas! Today I want to share one of my favorite breakfasts with you that my mom made for me when I was a girl. Arepa con Huevo y Jamon was a staple in my house. I hope you enjoy it too.
Lyndsey ~The Tiny Skillet~
Erica, so happy for another arepa recipe. I am a big arepa fan too, mostly thanks to you showing so many ways to have them. The last time I bought masarepa flour it was a 5 lb bag! I have white and yellow!
Arepa´s with everything!! Erica, try them with cream cheese and smoked salmon! Or the classic "Colombian-Italian" Arepizza: arepas with pizza sauce, lots of mozzarella and toppings!!
I don't think I'd ever get tired of eating this either! Delicious looking, Erica!
5 Star Foodie
This sounds wonderful for either breakfast or lunch or dinner! I've been meaning to make arepas, hope to do that very soon!