This Dulce de Leche Flan is a wonderful dessert. Creamy, sweet and easy to make this flan de arequipe is perfect to end any meal.
Flan de Arequipe (Dulce de Leche Flan)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 5 Whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 13 oz arequipe or dulce de leche
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To prepare the caramel, put 1 cup of sugar in a small pot with ½ cup of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir once and reduce the heat to medium and cook about 5 minutes or until the syrup turns a caramel color.
- Immediately pour an equal amount of the caramel into each ramekin or any oven proof mold you want to use. Swirl each dish to coat the base with the caramel, work fast as the caramel will harden quickly as it cools. Place all the ramekins in a large roasting pan and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer. Mix the eggs, egg yolks and 1 ½ tablespoon sugar for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the arequipe or dulce de leche, heavy cream, whole milk and vanilla extract and mix for 1 more minute.
- Carefully pour an equal amount of the flan mixture into the caramelized ramekins in the roasting pan. Then add hot water to the roasting pan, not to the ramekins, until the water comes half way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Place the roasting pan in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the center of the flan comes out clean.
- Remove from the roasting pan and cool for at least 30 minutes. Then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To serve, carefully run a knife around the edge of the ramekin, cover with a serving plate, flip it over and gently remove the ramekin allowing the caramel run over the sides.
You know how much I love arequipe or dulce de leche and flan. So, here I combined my two favorite desserts! I made this flan when my sister was visiting and we loved it. Simple, easy and delicious!
I can't wait to make this Dulce de leche Flan again.
This is my husbands favorite flan...I admit I am not a big fan, bit will have a few bites, but desserts are not a good friend of mine- I am a sugarholic... Yours looks so perfect!
I consider myself the flan queen. I just have not been making them lately and your dulce de leche is fabulous......I was asked to make three different flans for a baby shower and I will use this recipe for one of them. Gracias por la idea Erica
I'd love to have a bite of this delicious flan, please 🙂 Absolutely great, Erica 🙂
Mmm...looks soft, creamy and delicious. Love the shiny top. I would love to try and make this. Thanks for sharing.
Baking is my Zen
I will definitely be trying this!!
Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen
Wow, two of my favorites - dulce de leche and flan! Nice, Erica!
5 Star Foodie
A dulce de leche flan sounds incredible, yum!
Thank you all for reading my post!
Oh that sounds delicious! What I usually do is use cajeta (dulce de leche de cabra) instead of the caramel and it turns out really good.
I can't wait to try your version!
Oh my. You can always come up with new flavors for flan. I so want to try, however I never know what amounts of one ingredient to reduce or omit in order to add another ingredient.Love this one. I am sure it was extra creamy and delicious.
This is a stunning dessert. I'll wager it tastes every bit as good as it looks. Kudos. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary
best flan ever, as far as i'm concerned. 🙂
Gera @ SweetsFoodsBlog
Flan with dulce de leche..the national dessert here....wow I want a dozen of them, well done 🙂
Dulce de leche is my weakness... make a flan with it. OMG! Must be AMAZING.... I'm drooling.
WOWzers - that flan looks amazing...especially w/the colored fork!
Dulce de leche, arequipe or manjar blanco (Peru) whatever you call this! I love this!
Fantastic! You have combined my love for these two things as well!
There is never a time when I visit your site and not like what you have posted! How can anyone turn down a flan like this? Not me!
Christine @ Fresh Local and Best
I'll have to try your version of flan, it looks quite rich! I love flan!
Flan is the universal symbol of delicious! I must be careful to make this only when I have several other guests to share it; otherwise, I will probably eat it all myself. 😎
You are the QUEEN of flan! And this is quite possibly my fav one ... so far 😉
Thank you all for visiting and for the wonderful comments!
Oh my, this looks sinfully good. You make it so hard for me to be sensible about my desserts. What an incredibly looking treat.