This dish of eggs scrambled with pieces of arepa and tomato-onion sauce is a popular breakfast served in Colombia. There is no better way to start the day!
Migas de Arepa: A Hearty Breakfast
- 5 medium cooked corn arepas one day old
- 11/2 cups milk
- 2 cups hogao tomato-onion sauce
- 5 beaten eggs
- Salt and pepper
- To serve: Chorizo avocado or beans(optional)
- Cut the arepas into small pieces and place them in a bowl. Add the milk and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, place the hogao and add the arepa pieces. Add the beaten eggs and cook for about 5 minutes or until cooked.
- Serve warm.
You can serve this dish with Colombian chorizo, avocado and beans on the side. Migas de Arepa is designed to use up old corn arepas. The results won't be the same if you use arepas made with masarepa. And by the way, migas means “crumbs" in English.