Pasta con Pollo (Colombian Creamy Pasta with Chicken)
- 1 pound pasta
- 4 cups of cooked and shredded chicken
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups milk
- 4 Tbs. unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- 2 ½ cups shredded white or mozzarella cheese
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt the water and cook the pasta al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a fry pan over medium-low heat, warm the butter. Add the onion, garlic and sautué until very soft and lightly golden, about 15 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and tomato paste. Stir and cook for 5 minutes more.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the milk to just below a boil. In another saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Stir the flour into the butter and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the hot milk. Set over medium-low heat and cook, stirring, until thick and smooth, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove the sauce from the heat. Add the cheese
- Drain pasta and add to the skillet with the shredded chicken. Toss the pasta to coat evenly with the sauce. Top with cheese and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Almost every other week growing up my mother would make this Colombian Creamy Pasta with Chicken dish. This recipe makes me happy because it reminds me of old times, and last week, that was enough for me.
I love this dish because it is easy, feel-good, comfort food cooking, for me. Dinner will be on the table in less than 30 minutes, and you can use leftover chicken. The perfect family meal!