Arepa con Carne Desmechada (Arepa with Shredded Meat)
- 4 arepas corn cakes, cooked
- 1 carne desmechada shredded meat recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large ripe plantain peeled and diced
- 1 avocado diced
- fresh cilantro for ganish
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter and add the diced plantains. Brown the plantains for about 3 minutes and set aside.
- Place an arepa on a serving plate, top with the carne desmechada and add avocado and plantain.
- Sprinkle fresh cilantro and serve.
If you are a regular reader you know that my little sister is visiting from Colombia and we are having a lot of fun together. We laugh, talk and eat all day! It is great having a little sister around, don't you think? I love my brother and sister very much and I wish I could spend more quality time with them. The hardest thing about living away from my country is not being able to see my family as often as I would like.
Anyway, let's talk about arepas, shall we? This week I made this arepa recipe for lunch and we both loved it! Just think about a corn cake topped with your favorite ingredients. To me, there is nothing better than arepa 🙂
In this arepa I used shredded meat (carne desmechada), avocado and sweet plantain for the topping. Simple, but absolutely delicious.