Cumin and achiote are very important spices in Colombian cuisine. Achiote is also known as annatto seed and is used to give a yellowish color to food. Some people use it instead of saffron as a food coloring. Achiote can be found in Latin supermarkets and in some American grocery stores. I love these two ingredients and use them in a variety of different dishes.
This time I made a simple Salmon with Cumin and Achiote in the oven, which relsulted in a delicious, fresh, and light dinner, perfect for a summer week night!
- 4 (6-ounce) portions skinless and boneless salmon fillets
- 1 teaspoon ground achiote
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the achiote, cumin, black pepper, salt, garlic and onion powder. Season each piece of fish with the rub.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place salmon, skin side down, on a nonstick baking sheet. Bake until salmon is cooked through, about 12 to 15 minutes.