This stewed yuca is a wonderful and flavorful side dish. In Colombia it's served with beef, pork, chicken and seafood.
What is Yuca?
Yuca known as cassava in English is a root vegetable that comes from the Cassava plant. It's a very popular ingredient in Latin American cuisine, in Brasil yuca is known as mandioca. You can replace yuca for potatoes in many dishes. In Colombia we use yuca in soups, stews, mashed, fries and even desserts. Cooked yuca is tender and it has a mild taste similar to a potato.
Yuca Sudada Recipe
- 1 pound frozen yuca
- 4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 chicken bouillon tablet
- ¼ teaspoon sazon Goya con Azafran
- 1 cup hogao
- In a large pot, add the water,chicken bouillon, sazón, salt and bring to a boil. Add the yuca then reduce the heat to medium and cook about 15 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain the yuca and save 1 cup of the liquid.
- In the same pot add the hogao, return the cup of liquid you saved and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Place the yuca on a serving plate and pour the warm mixture over top.
This is a great way to cook yuca as this vegetable by itself is bland. This Yuca Sudada recipe is very popular in Colombia. Serve as a side dish with grilled meats or fish.
You can use frozen or fresh yuca for this recipe. In the United States you can find yuca in the produce section of some grocery stores and Latin food markets. I used my hogao to drizzle over the stewed yuca recipe.
More sides dishes you may want to try:
Colombian Potato Cakes (Lapingachos)
Potatoes with Cream and Cheese Sauce (Papas Chorreadas)
Rice with Ripe Plantains (Arroz de Pajarito)
In Guyana, we'd add the boiled cassava to the stew, toss and then serve. I like your method too.
In Cali, Colombia we make a soup called "Sancocho". We add the yuca to the soup, it's delicious!
I LOVE Yuca, but it is so hard to find here! I can live vicariously through you and that gorgeous photo!
omg erica!!! these look soo delicious.. casava is one of my fav 🙂 m sure gonna prep this soon.. thanx a lot
wow we have a lot of cassava here in iloilo and we just don't know what to make use of it beside our traditional method. this recipe is sure a hit.
What about the chicken billion..???
Place the chicken bouillon with the water.
How about the sazon goya?
The firts step.