Patacones with Shredded Chicken and Avocado (Patacones con Pollo Desmechado y Aguacate)
- 2 chicken breasts cooked
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 3 large green plantains
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 avocados
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- For the shredded chicken:Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the tomatoes, scallions, garlic, ground cumin and cook gently for about 7 minutes, stirring until softened.
- Reduce the heat to low, add salt and pepper. Cook for 7 minutes more, stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened. Check and adjust the seasoning.
- Using your fingers or 2 forks, pull the chicken into shreds. Mix the shredded chicken with the tomato sauce and set aside.
- For the patacones:Peel the plantains and cut cross-wise into ½u201d slices.In a medium heavy pot, add vegetable oil and heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Add the plantain slices to the heated oil in a single layer. Fry for about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Carefully remove the plantains with a slotted spoon, and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Let the patacones cool for 3 minutes. Then, place the plantains on a piece of plastic wrap and cover with another piece of plastic wrap. With a flat pot cover, press well on the pieces of plantain, flattening them to ½ inch thickness.
- Using tongs, add them back in the hot oil in a single layer (you may need to work in batches) and fry for an additional 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the patacones with slotted spoon and transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb oil. Sprinkle with salt, to taste, and transfer to a serving plate.
- For the avocado spread, and the assembly:To make the avocado spread, mash the ripe avocados with the lime juice and salt.Spread the avocado mixture on the patacones.
- Add the shredded chicken and top with the cheese and cilantro. Serve and enjoy.
I have great news to share! I’m a new contributor for Parade Magazine!
I am so honored to be writing for this popular American online publication. I will let you know whenever I post a new recipe on Parade.com, so you can go and check them out. I would love to hear what you think.
Today, I am sharing one of my favorite Colombian appetizers or snacks, Patacones with Shredded Chicken and Avocado (Patacones con Pollo Desmechado y Aguacate). This is a very simple recipe and absolutely delicious.
WOOHOO!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I can't imagine someone more deserving - I LOVE your food. And now everyone else gets to as well.
Congrats on being the new contributor! And that looks so good, never had patacones as such.
These look absolutely droolworthy!
Congratulations Erica! Happy for you. Your appetizers looks delicious!
Whoa!! BIG congrats!! I've never heard of patacones before...off to check them out!
These look really good. I'm looking for recipes around the world to teach my kids to cook. Found your Arepas recipe, too. Looks easy enough for kids to make. My friend is from El Salvador and recently taught us how to make Pupusas. Thanks for the recipes!
WOW, that is a big time gig for you, congratulations!
Norma - Platanos, Mangoes and Me!
I tink these are fantastic...and again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Hi Erica, I made these with my bf last night! https://ow.ly/zhuG3 We loved making and eating them. Thank you for such a wonderful and simple recipe! <3