Banana-Pecan and Dulce de Leche Upside Down Cake
- 1 stick butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- ¼ cup dulce de leche or arequipe
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a round cake pan.
- To make the topping: Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the butter and sugar, cook stirring occasionally, until itu2019s browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the pecans. Pour the butter-sugar mixture into the cake pan. Using a rubber spatula, spread the mixture out so it to covers the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange banana slices evenly. Press the slices into the butter-sugar mixture.
- To make the cake: Using a sieve over a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with a hand-held electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar and mix at a low speed until just incorporated. Raise the speed to high and mix until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. (Occasionally turn the mixer off, and scrape the sides of the bowl down with a rubber spatula.)
- Add the eggs one at time, waiting for each one to be fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Reduce the speed of the mixer to low. Add the flour mixture, milk, dulce de leche and banana. Raise the speed to medium and mix briefly until a smooth batter is formed.
- Pour the batter over the banana layer, distributing evenly. Bake the cake, rotating the pan once during cooking, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove the cake from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan to release the cake. Carefully invert the cake onto a serving plate.
If you are searching for that one great banana cake recipe, the one that will always impress people, taste great, is easy to throw together yet so hard to mess up, then this is the cake for you.
A couple of weeks ago I was feeling guilty about the ripe bananas sitting on my counter that were about to go bad, so I made this Banana-Pecan and Dulce de Leche Upside Down Cake... and it was soooo delicious. Upside Down Cake is best served warm and even better with vanilla ice cream.
I can't wait to make it again. Buen provecho!