This Plantain Cake or Torta de Plátano is absolutely delicious.I love the salty and sweet combination from the guava paste and cheese. Perfect for dessert, side dish or snack.
Colombians love plátanos and bocadillo or plantains and guava paste in English. We mix these ingredients to make a customary Colombian dish called Torta de Plátano. This dish requires the use of very ripe plantains, heavily spotted. This plantain cake is traditionally served as a side dish, however the sweetness of the guava paste make this recipe a great dessert. When I was living in Colombia I used to make this cake with fresh cheese called Queso Fresco. This cheese is very common in most of South America. You can find it in Latin American food markets.
Ingredients to make this Plantain Cake
Plantains: You need very ripe plantains to make this cake, because they are sweeter. They should have a lot of black spots.
Oil: vegetable or canola oil will work for this recipe.
Eggs: I like to use cage free and organic eggs.
Spices: cinnamon and sugar.
Milk: you should use whole milk to make this cake.
Guava Paste: you can find guava paste at your local super market in the Latin aisle or online on Amazon.
Cheese: I like to use whole milk mozzarella cheese to make this recipe.
Plantain Cake Recipe (Torta de Plátano Maduro)
- Peel the plantains and cut them into thin strips about ¼” in thickness. Preheat the oven to 350° f.
- In a deep skillet, add vegetable oil. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the plantain slices and fry for approximately 2 minutes, stirring and turning occasionally.
- Remove the plantains using a slotted spoon and transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk, beaten eggs, sugar, cinnamon, guava paste, cheese cubes and fried plantain. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into a greased baking pan, sprinkle grated cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes.
What to Serve with this Ripe Plantain Cake
This cake is very versatile it can be serve as an appetizer, snack, dessert or side dish. Some of my favorite main dishes to serve with this dish are roasted chicken legs, breaded chicken breast, grilled chicken breast and stuffed meatloaf.
Plantains recipes you should try