This post is also available in Spanish
I find chicken to be one of the most versatile proteins to cook. It’s delicious, and can be purchased at a decent price at most grocery stores. One of my favorite dishes to make with chicken breast is my mom’s Pollo a la Plancha. This Colombian-Style Grilled Chicken Breast recipe is simple to make and very flavorful.
Pollo a la Plancha is something that reminds me of home and a dish that can often be found on the menu of almost every Colombian restaurant. But it’s also a very traditional home-cooked Colombian dish.
My mom always served it with rice, salad and avocado on the side. Other wonderful side dishes to serve with this Colombian-Style Grilled Chicken Breast are tajadas de plátano, patacones or yuca frita.
During the summer I like to grill the chicken outside, but during the cold months I use an inside grill (plancha).
You can also make this dish using thinly sliced fillets of pork or beef. I hope you enjoy making this Pollo a la Plancha too. Buen provecho!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground achiote or annatto
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup beer
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse and dry the chicken. Pound each breast to an even thickness.
- Place the marinade ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place the pounded chicken in a large sealable plastic bag or in a bowl and cover with the marinade. Let marinate for at least 3 hours, overnight is ideal.
- Pre-heat the grill or plancha.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook for about 8 minutes total, turning halfway through. Allow the grilled chicken to rest for about 5 minutes, covered, before serving.