This chicken with mushroom sauce recipe is perfect for a weeknight meal. It's easy to make and full of flavor. I like to served it over rice, but it is also delicious over pasta or mashed potatoes.
I love chicken and I usually prefer to cook with dark meat rather than white meat for better flavor. This chicken with mushroom sauce is a simple, comforting and delicious dish. It’s excellent for dinner with your family but also fancy enough for entertaining.
What Do You Need to Make This Recipe?
The printable recipe card with a full list of ingredients and directions is below.
Butter: I recommend using butter to brown the chicken, but olive oil will work too.
Chicken thighs or legs: You can also use boneless chicken breast to make this recipe if you prefer. I like to use the dark meat because provides a lot of flavor to the sauce, which is difficult to recreate with chicken breasts.
Vegetables: Garlic, onions and mushrooms. I like to use baby bella mushrooms for this dish, because I like the flavor and texture, but feel free to use your favorite mushrooms.
Chicken stock: the chicken stock adds more flavor to the sauce. I like to use organic low sodium stock.
Heavy cream: I add heavy cream to the sauce to give this dish a creamy texture. I really recommend the addition of cream but if you prefer you can leave it out.
Spices: Cumin,salt and pepper.
Herbs: Fresh parsley and thyme.
Chicken with Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 chicken thighs or legs
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh thyme
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the chicken and cook, turning once or twice, until golden brown on both sides, about 8 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the onions and sauté until barely softened, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté until their juices are released, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the chicken broth and heavy cream.
- Return the chicken and any juices from the plate to the pan and spoon the mushrooms over the chicken. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and braise the chicken until opaque throughout, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in the thyme, parsley, cumin and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm over white rice.
I think that comfort food should never be seasonal and in Colombia we cook stews, soups and other comforting dishes like this one no matter how hot it is outside.
Leftover chicken with mushrooms will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days. Once the meal has cooled to room temperature, transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator.
What can I serve with this dish?
I love serving chicken with mushrooms with rice to soak up the delicious creamy sauce, simple salad and avocado.
If you are looking for more dinner inspiration, check out these: