You may be familiar with the horror stories around me and homemade bread baking. But every now and then I manage to pull one off and it gives me hope! I’m totally into the instant yeast lately, which makes baking bread easier for me. I haven’t had Pan Blandito Colombiano in years, but within a week’s time, I had four readers ask if I had a recipe for this popular Colombian bread. I felt like the universe was trying to tell me that now would be a good time to make it, so I did!
If you’ve never heard of this bread, Pan Blandito is a soft bread that is sometimes stuffed with cheese or guava paste. This is a very popular bread at Colombian bakeries both in Colombia and in the United States. Every panadería or grocery store in Colombia sells this bread. They are always fresh, soft and super delicious. I didn’t have the same experience though with this bread here in the US. I bought Pan Blandito here a couple of times, but to be honest, it tasted old and was over priced.
Making this bread at home is very easy, so I’m going to be making it on a regular basis for sure.
(8 soft breads)
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope RapidRise Yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Guava Paste (optional)
- 1 beaten egg
- Combine the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Heat milk, water and butter until warm (120°). Add to the flour mixture and mix well. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover; let rest 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and shape into balls. Work with one piece at a time, keeping the remaining pieces covered under plastic wrap that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Roll the piece of dough with a rolling pin until it’s thin.
- Starting with a short side, roll the dough up tightly and pinch the seams and ends to seal. You can stuff the bread with mozzarella cheese or guava paste, placing a piece at the top of the dough and rolling it in to cover.
- Place on a prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining pieces of dough. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 60 minutes.Brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for about 20 minutes or until done.Remove from pan and brush
- with additional melted butter, if desired.Serve warm.