This Coffee Flavored Cake is delicious and simple. If you are looking for an easy cake to make for a birthday party or celebration, this recipe is for you.
For most Colombians, no day begins without coffee (cafecito), while no meal ends without it, and it’s offered to guests any time of the day. We drink it black or with milk, the latter we call 'café con leche'. I can’t imagine starting a day without coffee! I love just about any food and drink with coffee flavor.
Considering how much I love coffee, I'm surprised that I’ve not posted a recipe for this cake until now. Finally, I've made my own version of mamita’s Torta de Café (coffee flavored cake) and it is absolutely delicious!
This Torta de Café (Coffee Flavored Cake) was one of a variety of regular desserts that were served at my grandma’s house on Sunday afternoons and holidays. You could usually count on one of the following desserts: arroz con leche, plátanos calados, brevas caladas, torta negra, or this Torta de Café, among a few others.
I topped and filled this coffee flavored cake with a frosting made with cream, instant coffee and shaved chocolate, which worked out very well. If you adore coffee as much as I do, then you’re going to love this cake!
What you Need to Make this Coffee Flavored Cake
You will will find the printable recipe card with exact ingredients amounts and directions below.
Flour: You need all purpose flour to make this cake.
Baking powder: Be sure the baking powder is fresh to ensure the cake rises.
Milk: I recommend using whole milk for this recipe.
Butter: I recommend using unsalted butter and leave it at room temperature for a while.
Eggs: at room temperature
Vanilla extract: Use a good quality vanilla extract. You will need it for the cake and the frosting.
Sugar: Granulated Sugar.
Coffee: Use a good quality strong coffee for this recipe.
Frosting: Heavy cream, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, instant coffee, grated sweet chocolate.
Torta de Café Recipe (Coffee Flavored Cake)
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup of whole milk
- 8 oz 2 sticks of butter
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of VERY strong coffee
- 2 cups very cold heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons Instant Coffee
- 1 cup grated or shave sweet chocolate divided
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Grease and lightly flour 2 (9-inch) round cake dishes.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a small pot heat the milk and butter, remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs with an electric mixer on high speed for 2 minutes. Add the sugar and continue mixing for 5 minutes more. Reduce the speed to low. Add the flour mixture, butter mixture, coffee and vanilla extract and mix for 1 more minute.
- Pour the batter into two baking dishes and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans for 10 min. Invert cakes onto wire racks, gently remove pans. Cool the cakes completely.
- In a large bowl the heavy cream, powdered sugar, vanilla, instant coffee and 6 tablespoons of shaved chocolate. Beat until the cream holds soft peaks.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate, spreading ½ of the frosting on top, place the other cake layer on top and spread the top with remaining frosting.
- Add the remaining shaved chocolate on top of the cake. Eat immediately or keep frosted cake refrigerated until ready to eat.
This coffee flavored cake is perfect for the coffee lover in your life. This is one of those feel-good desserts that makes you feel warm and cozy inside, proving that food doesn’t have to be fancy to be good. I hope you enjoy my grandmother’s Torta de Café!