Pasta with Creamy Roasted Pepper and Tomato Sauce
- 1 pound dried shells or favorite pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 28oz can tomato sauce
- 2 roasted red bell peppers
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme
- Pinch red pepper flakes optional
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with the olive oil. Add the onions, garlic and thyme and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Place the tomato sauce, roasted peppers, chicken or vegetable broth in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the tomato mixture to the sauce pan and cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the heavy cream, oregano, parmesan cheese and cook for about 5 minutes more. Stir and add red pepper flakes.
- Meanwhile, add 2 tbs. salt and the pasta to the boiling water. Cook, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until al dente, according to the package instructions.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Warm briefly over low heat to blend the flavors and serve.
This pasta dish is a very nice meal. It is quick and simple to make and I usually have all of the ingredients in my pantry. You can be creative and add shredded chicken or shrimp to the dish, if you prefer.
I love the combination of tomatoes and roasted peppers. Don't you?
If you are looking for a simple and tasty weeknight meal, make this delicious Pasta with Creamy Roasted Peppers and Tomatoes, with a salad on the side. Your family is going to love it!