Arroz con Chorizo (Rice with Colombian-Style Sausage)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 1 red bell peppers diced
- 2 to matoes peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon achiote or azafran
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 pounds of Colombian chorizo sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large sautué pan. Add the onion, scallions and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic, and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the cumin, achiote, rice and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add the chorizo slices, broth and tomato paste, stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve.
Arroz con Chorizo is a traditional dish from my hometown of Antioquia and it is absolutely delicious. I like to serve it with avocado and lime wedges on the side. Enjoy it!