This Arroz con Coco y Camarones is very popular in the coastal areas of Colombia. The first time I ate this Coconut Rice with Shrimp was in the city of Cartagena while in college on a field trip with my Hotel and Tourism Administration class.
Cartagena is located in the Caribbean region of the country and is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Colombia.
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 Cups long-grain white rice
3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
4 cups coconut milk (fresh or canned)
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt, divided
¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 bay leaf
- Place the shrimp in a plastic bowl and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, chili powder and onion powder and ½ teaspoon of salt. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add the rice, sugar, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper, stir until well coated.
- Add the coconut milk. bay leaf and bring to a boil, for about 5 minutes, reduce the heat to low and add the shrimp. Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the rice is just tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaf. Add the parsley and let it sit for 5 minutes and serve hot.