Envuelto de Plátano Maduro is a delicious Colombian side dish with a combination of sweet and savory flavors.
What are Envueltos de Plátano Maduro?
They are savory plantain wraps made from a mixture of mashed ripe plantains, panela and butter, while some people also add diced pork belly (chicharrón) or grated cheese to their envueltos.
The ingredients are wrapped with plantain leaves and baked in the oven. These ripe plantains wraps are sweet, delicious and they go perfect with grilled meats, especially pork.
If you're a fan of ripe plantains, then these Envueltos de Plátano Maduro are for you. And if you're not yet a fan, I'd bet you will be soon!
Like most Colombians, they've always been a staple in my family's kitchen and I make a dish using green or ripe plantains at least twice per week.
Envueltos de Plátano Maduro Recipe (Ripe Plantain Wraps)
- 4 very ripe plantains peeled
- ½ cup masarepa
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- ⅓ cup of grated panela or brown sugar
- ½ cup melted butter
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese optional
- Banana leaves cut into pieces about 12 inches long or aluminum foil
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Wash the leaves well with hot water and set aside.
- Place all the ingredients, except the banana leaves in the food processor and process until the plantains are pureed. Place in a bowl, cover and set aside for about 40 minutes.
- To assemble: place 1 piece of the leaf on a work surface and spread about ¼ cup of plantain mixture in the center of the banana leave.
- Fold the banana leave enclosing all of the filling, like you are making a package. Continue the process until all the envueltos are wrapped.
- Place them on a baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Serve them warm.
These Envueltos de Plátano Maduro are a traditional dish from El Tolima department of Colombia and they are typically eaten as a side dish with the popular Lechona Tolimense, a delicious rice and pork dish.
You can serve this recipe as a side dish for grilled meats, as an appetizer, snack or even as a main dish with a light salad.
Where Can I Find Banana Leaves?
Now days you can find them online on Amazon or at Latin and Asian markets in the United States.
Be sure to clean the banana leaves with warm water and dry them with a clean cloth before making this dish.