Pasteles de Jamón y Queso (Ham and Cheese Pastries)
- 1 package frozen puff pastry sheets thawed
- 24 slices of leftover or deli ham
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
- Preheat an oven to 400°F.
- Roll out each puff pastry sheet until it measures about 10 by 12 inches. Cut each pastry sheet into 12 almost-square pieces. Top each piece with cheese and a 1 ham slice.
- Brush the edges of the pastry pieces with egg mixture, then fold each piece in half. Press the edges together to seal.
- Place the pasteles on a baking sheet, spacing them about ½ inch apart. Brush the tops with the egg mixture.
- Bake the pasteles until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate and serve.
Today I am sharing a simple recipe with you guys called Pasteles de Jamón y Queso. It is one of my favorite snacks and very popular in Colombia.
When it comes to pastries, I love recipes that are simple to make, and with store-bought ingredients, to make it easier and faster. This Pasteles de Jamón y Queso recipe is exactly what I like, because you can use store-bought pastry dough.
Pasteles de Jamón y Queso are sold around the country in bakeries (panaderias), school cafeterias and coffee shops. They are great for breakfast, school lunches, snacks or even lunch.
I love to use the store-bought pastry too. These look so puffed up, flaky and delicious!
They are very similar to the ham and cheese filled croissants very popular in Britain and often on sale at the main railway stations especially in London. Making these, I would first give the middle of each pastry square a mustard wash with a pastry brush to enhance the flavour of both the ham and the cheese.
que rico! i love these! and yes, looks easy enough... amm nyammm
You should sell these at the farmers market!!
I have been working with store bought puff pastry too for a while, it is great. Love your pasteles and the flavorful fillings.
wow that is so crusty and crispy looking! I love it
these look great 🙂
i love seeing puff pastry used in savory applications! this is a delicious creation, erica!
Amy (Savory Moments)
I want to eat one of these for breakfast, and then lunch, and then dinner... any maybe a snack, too! They look so yummy!