Do you know what’s better than classic nachos? Patacón Loaded Nachos or simply, “Pataconachos”! I am also a huge classic nacho fan. It’s one of my favorite appetizers to order in restaurants, but I'll take these Patacón Loaded Nachos any day.
Patacón Loaded Nachos
- 20 cooked patacones see recipe here
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 to matoes diced
- Jalapeño sliced (fresh or canned) to your taste
- ¼ cup red onion thinly sliced
- Cilantro leaves chopped
- Guacamole see recipe here
- Sour cream
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the yellow onion. Cook until soft, add the ground beef. Cook the meat until browned, drain the fat. Add the garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper and stir well. Add the water and stir. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- To build the nachos, place a layer of patacones on an oven proof dish. Top with a layer of beef, then half of the cheddar cheese and half of the Monterey Jack cheese. Add another layer of patacones, another layer of beef, and the rest of the cheese.
- Place the patacones nachos in the oven at 325 degree until the cheese is melted. Top with tomatoes, sliced jalapeño, red onion, cilantro, guacamole and sour cream.
Patacones, also known as tostones, are twice-fried green plantains, usually served as a side dish or appetizer with dipping sauces, and are very popular in Latin countries. Patacones are one of my favorite side dishes and I eat them all the time with my my meals, but I also love them as a snack, sprinkled with a little salt.
Last week I was craving nachos, but I didn’t have tortilla chips at home. So, I decided to create my own nachos with patacones and I think I just found my new favorite appetizer in “Pataconachos” 🙂
Trust me, there’s nothing like crispy patacones, loaded with everything you love about nachos, like beef, cheese, guacamole, tomatoes, jalapeños and sour cream. The combination of flavors, colors and textures make this dish amazing.