This shrimp with tomato sauce recipe is full of flavor and easy to make. You can serve it as an appetizer, lunch or dinner.
What is Camarones en Apuro?
It is a traditional Colombian dish from the Coast of the country. It is a simple and easy way to cook shrimp. It's a wonderful and delicious appetizer to serve when having company. In Colombia, it is usually served on a bed of Romaine lettuce with saltine crackers and lemon or lime wedges on the side, but I served mine with crostini and I loved it!
All you need is a few pantry staples and you can enjoy this shrimp dish in less than 30 minutes.
What You'll Need to Make this Recipe
Shrimp: You need uncooked shrimp for this recipe. You can buy it peeled and deveined.
Spices: Onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Bread crumbs: You can use panko or regular bread crumbs for this dish.
Tomato sauce and lime or lemon juice for flavor.
Camarones en Apuro Recipe (Colombian-Style Shrimp with Tomato Sauce)
- 1 ½ pounds uncooked shrimp peeled and deveined
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- 1 ½ cups tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium sauce pan heat the olive oil, add the shrimp, onion powder, garlic powder, stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the bread crumbs, salt and pepper and stir well. Add the tomato sauce and lemon juice. Cook for about 3 more minutes.
- Stir and serve over lettuce.