This Rice with Shrimp (Arroz con Camarones) is a flavorful dish. Perfect for a weeknight meal or a dinner party.
Colombians like rice and it is very hard to imagine a meal that does not include some type of rice dish. This Rice with Shrimp is popular in the Atlantic region of the country and it's the perfect one-pot meal. Filling and comforting with a wonderful combination of ingredients. I like to serve it with a green salad, lime wedges and avocado on the side.
This Arroz con Camarones or rice and shrimp dish has a lot of flavor, because we’ll blend the shrimp shells into the stock, which will then be used to cook the rice. The rice will absorb the taste of the shrimp and will be packed with flavor and just delicious.
Ingredients for Rice with Shrimp
Shrimp. I like to use raw jumbo shrimp.
Vegetables: tomato, garlic, onion, scallions, carrots, peas, green beans, green and red bell pepper.
Spices: ground cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.
Rice. I like to use long grain white rice for this recipe.
Flavor: tomato paste and fish bouillon.
Oil: I like to use olive oil and butter for this recipe, but canola and vegetable oil will work too. Herbs: Parsley or cilantro will work to garnish this dish.
Rice with Shrimp Recipe (Arroz con Camarones)
- 1 pound fresh and un-peeled shrimp
- 3 ½ cups water
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- ¼ cup onion finely chopped
- 1 fish bouillon tablet
- ½ cup green pepper chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1 scallion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup frozen carrots green beans and peas
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a small pot place the un-peeled shrimp, fish bouillon tablet and water and cook for about 3 minutes or until the shrimp turns pink.
- Transfer the shrimp to a bowl. Peel and save the shells and the stock to use later.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a medium pot over medium- high heat. Add the onions and cook for 1 minute, add the garlic, green pepper, Red pepper, scallions and tomato. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the shrimp shells and stock in a blender and blend for 2 minutes. Pass through a sieve and discard the shells and save the stock.
- Add the rice to the tomato mixture, stirring until well coated. Add the stock, tomato paste, ground cumin, paprika, salt and black pepper and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the shrimp, peas and carrots and cook for and additional 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add fresh parsley and serve.
More shrimp dishes to try