This Arroz Caldoso de Camarones (Shrimp Soupy Rice) is quick and very easy to make. It can usually be made with simple ingredients that I always have on hand. It is perfect for a weeknight dinner, satisfying, comforting and absolutely delicious.
Arroz Caldoso de Camarones (Shrimp Soupy Rice)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup white rice
- 3 cups shrimp stock
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound of shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the garlic, onion, red bell pepper and grated carrots. Cook until the vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes,½ cup of water, shrimp and peas.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle fresh cilantro and serve immediately.
Arroz Caldoso is also know as Asopao in other Latin American countries and Spain. This soupy rice is a thick and comforting dish made with rice, vegetables and a choice of poultry or seafood. Every country and every family has their own version of the dish. This is my aunt's recipe, and she always make hers with shrimp. I love topping my Arroz Caldoso de Camarones with lime juice and diced avocado.