White Bean and Chicken Casserole is a comforting and filling dish. Made with spices, vegetables, shredded chicken beans, bacon, potatoes, ripe plantains this casserole is the perfect meal.
Cazuela de Pollo y Frijoles Blancos(White Bean and Chicken Casserole)
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 bacon slices chopped
- 1 ripe plantain peeled and diced
- 1 to mato finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 scallion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- ¼ cup red pepper chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon sazon goya with azafran
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 15 ozcans white beans
- 1 large potato peeled and diced
- Salt and pepper
- Cilantro or parsley for garnish
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice of ½ lime
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the bacon and cook for about 2 minutes or until browned. Transfer the bacon to a plate and set aside.
- Add the plantains to the same sauce pan and cook for about 3 minutes or until browned and set aside on a plate for later use.
- Add the onions, scallions, red pepper, garlic, tomato and sautué until tender and translucent, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cumin, paprika, sazon goya, salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken stock, white beans, potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 20 minutes over medium heat. Add the shredded chicken and bacon, stir well, cover the saucepan and cook for 10 minutes more. Add more chicken stock if necessary.
- To make the cumin cream: place all the ingredients in a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
- To serve: Divide the chicken and bean mixture in bowls. Add the cooked plantains on top and drizzle cumin cream. Garnish with cilantro or parsley. Serve warm with white plain rice.
The picture may not look appetizing, but this white bean and chicken casserole was absolutely delicious. Easy and simple to make and you can use your left over chicken. It sounds perfect to me 🙂
This dish is very versatile, you almost can't go wrong with any variety of ingredients. Try using pulled pork or roasted tofu in place of the chicken and red or black beans instead of white beans.
Have a nice weekend and buen provecho!
Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog)
That looks fabulous! I love white beans, they're so creamy. 🙂
YUM! What a pretty dish.
Oh boy the pic does look really appetising!
on the contrary--i think it looks great! that cumin-lime cream adds a ton of appeal!
It looks good to me! yummm!
I think this looks incredibly delicious! I really love the plantain in there!
Baking is my Zen
Looks very delicious!!
The casserole sounds wonderful, but what has really inspired me is the cumin-line cream! Wow! Thanks!
5 Star Foodie
Sounds super delicious with white beans and potatoes!
I have been looking for white bean recipes lately since I've absolutely fallen in love with them! I think these pictures look great...perfect for the comfort food that this is. I would love to try this with some pulled pork!
Thank you guys for visiting my site and for the comments!
I like the addition of the "maduros". Sweet and savory!
A delicious and healthy meal. Pity that some of the ingredients are not easily found.
I think look really yummy Erica!! xx gloria
Oh I agree with Gloria's comment, it looks qite good. I am a big fan of wite beans. They make a good addition to so many meals. Nice post!
Such a delicious casserole with these plantains and that cumin-flavored cream; we use cumin a lot in lebanese cooking especially with chicken.
That's very interesting combination, I would love that, with the plantains and white beans. It looks delicious Erica. 🙂
I wish I could find plantains here in Australia... there's really no good substitute for them. If I ever track them down, I'm going to make this!
this casserole looks good to me !! thanks Erica !! Pierre
looks very tasty to me will make this one for sure
Wow, Erica, this is such a nice meal! Looks tasty!
Sinful Southern Sweets
Beautiful dishes!! can't wait to give some of these a try
I have visited Colombia last week and I really love their delicious dishes. Can't wait to make this on my own. I will let my friends taste Colombian dishes. Thanks
Thank you all 🙂
This dish just sounds and looks so good, Columbian home cooking at its finest. I must make this one soon, although I say that about all your fantastic recipes!
It sounds really good. It helps me to think how to use my left over chicken. Sometimes I throw them because I don't know how I am going to do with the left overs. Thanks. Very delicious and helpful post.
Thanks for the recipe. I'd love to make this at home.
This sound so good, thanks for sharing this delicious looking recipe.