Frijoles Verdes con Torticas de Choclo (Bean Soup with Corn Fritters)
- 1 pound canary beans soaked overnight
- 2 pounds pork meat or ribs cut into pieces
- 12 cups water
- 2 cups diced carrots
- ½ tbsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ cups hogao
- ½ tablespoon sazon goya with azafran
- 1 large potato peeled and diced
- 1 beef bouillon tablet
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 ½ cup fresh corn kernels
- ¼ cup corn meal
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and pepper
- Oil for frying
- Heat oil to 325 degrees F. Place the corn in a food processor and process for about 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine corn meal, baking powder, sugar, corn, butter, milk, egg, salt and pepper. Stirring well.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches in a skillet. Drop by tablespoons into hot oil. Cook 2 to 4 minutes, or until golden, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- To serve: Ladle the soup in a bowl. Arrange the fritters in the center of the soup. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
A couple of weeks ago I made one of my favorite Colombian soups from the Antioquia department of the country. A rich canary bean and pork soup topped with fried corn fritters. I like to serve it with white rice and avocado on the side.
If you've been visiting my site for a while, you know that Colombians love homemade soups. And, if you love fresh ingredients like me, canned soups are just not for you. Let me tell you, hearty soups are simple to make at home from scratch.
I think you'll love this soup, even on a sunny spring day!
oh what a fun idea for soup!
J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog)
That sounds so good! I've never had a corn fritter, but it looks delicious. Great combination; beans are one of my favorite things to have in soup. 🙂
I love anything "fritter". Things look so tasty!
Can you say comfort in a bowl? Beautiful.
Christine @ Fresh Local and Best
I love the contrast of crispy fritters in soup. This looks quite comforting!
Fried corn fritters in anything rocks!
Oh yes, I'm sure I would love that, a soup with ribs and corn fritters. That must be delicious,
I love fritters.
I especially like the corn fritter. I am a fritter type of gal...
You always make such lovely soups.
Erica, esa sopa se ve deli, deli y mas con las arepuelas de choclo..
Felicidades por tu bebe y Dios te bendiga con todo lo que acarrea esa bendicion....Aun no lo soy , pero ya sabes para cuando me toque a mi...jajaja.
This looks really good and I have the feeling it would be quite easy to make an interesting vegetarian version. Thanks for the idea! I'm going to try to make it once my kitchen is pulled back together.
The instructions are for the fritters... Where can I find the instructions on how to make the soup? Thanks!