Whole Wheat Pasta with Pears, Walnuts and Gorgonzola Cheese is a recipe that has been kicking around my head for a while and I’m so excited to finally be sharing it with all of you. It’s always a joy to share something that turned out even better than I had anticipated!
It’s versatile and easy to toss together, which makes it a great weeknight dish. Buen provecho!
- 1 pound of whole grain rotini or other short pasta
- 3 tablespoon of butter
- 3 Asian or Bosc pears, halved, cored and cut into small pieces
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped onions
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 cup of gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1 bunch small leaved arugula, stems removed
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Bring salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the pear and lemon juice, and toss to coat the pear evenly to prevent them from turning brown.
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the pears and sugar and caramelize. Set pears aside on a plate.
- Add the remaining butter and onions and saute until tender. Add the cream and reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 1 minute. Add 1/2 a cup of the cheese and whisk until smooth, about 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- dd the pears, walnuts, arugula and basil and stir. Drain the pasta in a colander, add to the sauce and toss well. Add the remaining cheese and serve immediately.