Lentil Patties or Meatless Burger
- 1 cup lentils rinsed
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 whole onion
- 1 canned chickpeas
- ½ cup onion shredded
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- ¼ cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil to cook the patties
- Buns or pita bread
- Place the lentils and broth in a medium pot, bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes, adding more broth or water if necessary.
- Drain the lentils, discard the vegetables and set aside to cool. Meanwhile using a potato masher or a fork, puree the chickpeas.
- In a large bowl mix the chickpeas, onions, scallions, ground cumin and fresh cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Add the cooled lentils and mix well.
- Make some patties and place on a plate lined with parchment paper. Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a frying pan. Fry the patties until golden on all sides. Serve warm.
Although I love meat, I don't eat it as much as I would like. If you are a regular reader, you know that my husband doesn't eat meat, so I am always making meatless dishes that meat eaters like me and my kids will love too.
I added avocado slices and pink sauce (salsa rosada) to the burgers and they were fantastic. I didn't miss the meat, and my husband was happy! I made these lentil patties about a month ago and we all loved them, yet somehow I forgot about them until now, when I saw the recipe pictures on my computer. So, finally, here's the recipe.