Who can resist a bowl of hot beef chili on a cold day?
Chili con Carne anyone? This dish makes the perfect lunch or dinner on a cold winter day. Oh, I cannot wait to have another bowl! The best thing about chili is that it is as good the next day as the day you cooked it. So, you may want to increase the serving size and make a large pot, so you’ll have some leftover for the next day. There are only a few dishes that I eat the next day, as I am not a leftover person, but chili and arroz con pollo are a couple that I usually enjoy the day after I cook them.
For this chili con carne I used flank steak and it was absolutely delicious. Try it!
1 lb flank steak
4 cups water
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 garlic clove
¼ cup diced onion
¼ cup fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
¼ cup finely chopped green pepper
¼ cup finely chopped red pepper
3 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup diced tomatoes
½ chipotle chili with adobo (from a can)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper
½ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon tomato paste
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- In a pot, place all the beef and broth ingredients and cook over medium heat for about 1 hour or until the meat is cooked.
Strain and measure 1 cup of the liquid used to cook the meat. Set aside.
- Remove the beef from the pot, chop and set aside.
- Put the tomatoes and chipotle in the food processor and process until smooth and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic, red and green pepper and cook for additional 2 minutes. Add the cumin, oregano and chili powder and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add the beans, tomato mixture and the beef to the pot and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon. Add the sugar, cilantro and tomato paste. Cook for 10 minutes more. If the chili is too thick, use some of the broth you set aside. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with tortilla chips, cilantro and sour cream. Serve.